I killed some time today perusing the reports filed by special interest groups that hold receptions and invite members of the Legislature. I did it while enjoying my lunch, which was paid for by the Cedar Rapids Association of Goateed Columnists.
It’s a small but powerful group.
The economy may be bad, but groups are still shelling out bucks to entertain our lawmakers, all cold and alone and so far from home. And how can you survive three-and-a-half days of legislating without adequate sustenance — cheese, cocktail weenies, maybe some shrimp. Mmmm.
Here are the top 6 priciest receptions through March 7:
1. Iowa Farm Bureau Federation, Feb. 24, Embassy Suites — $15,807.43*
2. Greater Des Moines Partnership, Jan. 12, Civic Center — $10,405
3. Iowa Wholesale Beer Distributors, Jan. 20, Savery Hotel — $9,913.33
4. Iowa Credit Union League, Feb. 17, Embassy Suites — $9,105.81
5. Des Moines University, Feb. 4, at DMU — $8,629.40**
6. Iowa Bankers Association, Feb. 11, Embassy Suites — $8,449.76
* Reception included 88 lawmakers and 261 Farm Bureau members
** DMU faculty, alumni and students were also invited.