State lawmakers backed away from a proposal this week that would have removed stickers from gas pumps promoting fuel blended with ethanol. Backers argued that out-of-state drivers leery of ethanol might use the cheaper corn-based blend if it wasn’t labeled.
Critics panned the idea. But I think they were on to something. Here are five other proposals for messing with out-of-state visitors that I think the Legislature should consider:
1. Prank DOT Road Maps — Show only odd-numbered highways.
2. Set secret “non-native” speed limit at 50 mph.
3. Require visitors to purchase Iowa State University season football tickets to use rest area bathrooms.
4. Create mandatory I-80 corn maze detour.
5. Line our borders with casinos to fleece…oops, already in place.